Maternity Service Improvement Group
The aim of the Maternity Improvement Group is to improve the provision of safe maternity care by sharing information on implementing innovative and effective practices. The group receives annual and 6-monthly reports that contain both operational and clinical data and shares information through an annual 2 day facilitated meeting.
This year, the Maternity Improvement Group meeting in Brisbane in April 2018 focused on the "Cascade of Intervention in childbirth" and its impact on women and babies as well as the provision of in hospital maternity services. Members own hospital data and Health Roundtable aggregate data along with Innovations addressed the key topics of:
- Iatrogenic onset of birth
- Induction of labour
- Primary caesarean sections
This meeting was an excellent forum for discussion to more fully explore specific maternity outcomes and activity data as well as hearing from leading experts in the field and formally sharing innovations from our membership.
|GM Health Round Table Dr Gail Prileszky
with the Innovation Poster winning team
|Attendees at the 2018 maternity Improvement Group
meeting in Brisbane
The Maternity Improvement Group's 2019 programmeis being developed and will focus on "Effective care for women identified as 'at risk' during their pregnancy" and its impact on the woman's experience, birth outcomes and the impact on provision of hospital services. The Health Round Table data demonstrates a steady increase in proportion of pregnant women identified as having some level of risk. The most recent data places this proportion at 60%.
We will consider your own hospital data and Health Round Table data along with innovations to explore the following in more detail"
- the risk profiles of pregnant women in the 2018 cohort.
- How we can manage the risk and enable a healthy pregnancy outcome
- The impact on the maternity workforce will also be explored including models of care that have been adapted to meet this demand.
What do you need to do in preparation for your 2019 membership?
- Complete the subscription form for 2019
- Designate a maternity liaison representative to act as a key contact with The HRT collaborative may 2019 event organiser
- Review definitions and updated reports for questions, comments, or issues to be discussed at the collaborative event.
- Organise a delegation to attend the annual 2 day meeting on 29th & 30th May 2019 in Adelaide.
- Identify one innovation from your service to present to colleagues at the meeting.
- Work with colleagues to identify one potential service innovation to explore.
What does The Health Roundtable do?
- Produces reports extracting data from the inpatient episode collection, highlighting trends and differences in performance.
- Works with key maternity contacts to organise an annual collaborative event and any special survey materials.
- Facilitates the annual collaborative event and provides a summary report based on the discussions.
- Provides phone and webcast support to all members to assist with data interpretation.